One of the primary objectives of Landmark is to build on and shape the land contained within the player's claims, along with placing any desired crafted or dropped props. Players can also link interact-able props together using Linking and Triggering. Building requires the collection of various materials harvested from land outside the player's claims, since resources on claims cannot be collected. This article focuses on the actual building and shaping of the land on a claim. Note that players may place blocks of dirt outside claims, but that these will not be permanent since the terrain will heal outside claims.
The Element Tray[edit | edit source]
The Element Tray is located on the bottom left side of the screen, next to the action bar. It is used to select the current type of material to be used. It shows the current resource amount held of the selected material, and the voxel volume of the current cursor. The volume corresponds directly to the amount of resource to be consumed or gathered by a performing an action with that cursor, because in essence, one unit of a resource corresponds to one voxel.
Materials tab[edit | edit source]
The Materials tab is opened by clicking the Element Tray. This is where the current material is selected, and the current amount of resources can also be viewed here. In the top-left of the Materials tab, the player can either search for a material by name, switch between the default docked and windowed Materials tab interfaces, and pin down the Materials tab. Note that a player can also change the current material selected faster, by using the "eye-dropper" function of the add tool. This is done by holding down the Alt-key while left-clicking the desired material on the ground.
The building tools[edit | edit source]
There are seven special crafted tools used for building and adjusting structures and the land on claims. They often need to be combined for best results. The image to the right shows the Building Tools, as seen in inventory. From the top-left they are: Add Tool, Delete Tool, Heal Tool and Paint Tool. From bottom-left they are Smooth Tool, Selection Tool and Line Tool.
Add Tool[edit | edit source]
The Add Tool is the most basic tool for actually building up structures on a claim. The add tool lets the player place (add) voxels to the world. When the add tool is selected, the player gets new abilities shown above the action bar.
- The simplest way to use the tool is simply to place the cursor in the desired spot and left-click, which will place the current selected material in that spot in the shape and size of the cursor, provided enough of the needed resource is available.
- By holding "Ctrl", the Add Tool will function like the Delete Tool on a left-click.
- When clicking on a selection, the Add Tool will add the currently selected material to the entire selection if enough is available. This is a powerful way to combine the Add and Selection Tools. It is used to select shape of the cursor.
Delete Tool[edit | edit source]
The Delete Tool is the most basic tool for removing structure and land from a claim.
- Like the Add Tool, the simplest way to use this is simply to place the cursor in a desired location and left-click to remove whatever is there.
- The Delete Tool can be used on selections to remove everything within the selection.
- Any resources or props that have been placed by players are placed back into the player's inventory when the Delete Tool is used to remove them from a claim.
- Removing the natural landscape with the delete tool does not grant any resources.
Heal Tool[edit | edit source]
The Heal Tool is used to return parts of a claim back to their natural state, either adding or deleting as necessary.
- Hold "J" to have the cursor sit on a surface instead of within in.
- Like other tools, the Heal Tool can be used on selections.
Paint Tool[edit | edit source]
The Paint Tool is used to replace the existing material in the affected area with the currently selected material.
- Like other tools, the Paint Tool can be used on selections.
Smooth Tool[edit | edit source]
The Smooth Tool is used to smooth rigid edges and create advanced shapes on existing structures.
Selection Tool[edit | edit source]
The Selection Tool is a powerful tool used to select rectangular volumes on a claim.
- Combining this with other tools, such as the Add and Delete tools, is a way to quickly establish a basic structure for a planned build.
- The initial selection is made by holding down the left mouse button on one corner and dragging to the mouse to the other desired corner. If this isn't possible, there are ways to adjust the size and shape of an existing selection.
- By holding "Ctrl", it is possible to grab and move a face on the opposite side of a selection.
- By holding "Shift", translation handles are shown that allow one to move the corners of a selection.
- It can be used to cut with "Ctrl"+"X", copy with "Ctrl"+"C", and paste with "Ctrl-V". Note that cut and copy only works on materials placed by a player, not on the natural terrain.
- Hitting "Delete" functions the same as using the Delete Tool on a selection.
Line Tool[edit | edit source]
The Line Tool is used to place materials with slopes and angles.
- It is used by selecting a starting point by holding down the left button and then dragging the mouse to the desired ending point.
- Lines must be larger than a single voxel.
- The color of the line indicates whether it is possible to complete the action:
- When green, the line has at least one axis of alignment and the action can be completed.
- When yellow, there is no alignment, but it may still be possible.
- When red, the action is not possible.